Pictures 3/3/06

Below you can see additional pictures that I could not include in the Prayer Update e-mails.


Click here to return to the Prayer Updates page




Some of the smaller Wallers actually handled the chopsticks better than I did.

- Much to the enjoyment of our Chinese friends.



Peter had arranged for a small bus to provide transportation in Shanghai.



At Peter's home, this was the favorite table. People sat on the floor, and

put their legs under the table, taking advantage of the electric blanket

under the rug. (The homes in Shanghai are usually not heated very

much in the winter time.)



David led the training for the Children's Seminar teachers. Here Derrick

and I did a skit demonstrating how not to teach.



The city of Shanghai was a striking contrast to the mostly grey and brown

buildings of Ulaanbaatar.



Traffic was quite interesting. It was something like Mongolia, but at much

faster speeds. The drivers skillfully race for position, often narrowly missing

each other in the process.



Our staff posed outside the school in Shanghai for a picture

before the first Character Family Seminar.



In the Children's Program, David had me help with one of the stories.

Here, "Sloppy Joe" learns an important lesson on responsibility.



The patterns that "Sloppy Joe" built in his life as a boy became the

foundation for his character as a sailor.



The students listened to stories, and learned songs in the large group setting.



And then had further teaching and craft activities in their small groups.



Here a little boy folds his hat after learning about responsibility.



Each student got to make a paper hat to remind them of responsibility.



Derrick's team tries on their sailor hats.



The Children's Seminar team.



At a restaurant after the Shanghai seminar, we had the opportunity to try

a "steam bowl." A large bowl of boiling water is in the center of the table,

heated by a pitcher of burning coal. You take chopsticks and dip finely sliced

meat into the water for a few seconds to cook it.



Trying to find a lost strip of chicken, we found a whole crab at the bottom

of the steam bowl.



Our family was able to have our usual time of Bible reading and singing

together in the morning. On this day, a good friend joined our family time

after traveling several hours to meet us.



Mr. Fahrenbruck and Peter.



Mr. Fahrenbruck led the main sessions for the parents, and some

breakout sessions for the English speaking attendees.



We all felt like it was summer outside after coming from Mongolia.

It was fun to see the grass and trees in Shanghai.



This is a large sundial.



Visiting some of Peter's character companies, we enjoyed hearing how

they have applied principles of character to their business.



Matthew's string tricks drew quite a crowd at the train station as we

waited for the rest of our team to arrive.



The overnight train from Shanghai to Beijing was an enjoyable experience.

Lydia was excited to find real flowers in each compartment.



The compartments were plenty warm, but otherwise we found the

train quite comfortable.



Arriving in Beijing the next morning, we began preparations for the Beijing

Character Family Seminar.



Peter presents a special gift to the main coordinator of the Beijing Seminar.



Discretion is defined as: "Recognizing and avoiding words, actions and

attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences."



Visiting another company, my family had the opportunity to participate in

a question and answer forum. Many people had questions about how to apply

principles of character to their family and home life.



David poses with the Beijing Children's Seminar group after telling

the patience story.



This three wheeled bicycle looks pretty heavily loaded.



Most of the children in China have no brothers and sisters,

two parents, and four grandparents.



We had a good laugh one night as I tried using chopsticks the "logical" way.



One of the interesting parts of living in China is figuring out how to use

appliances when all the buttons are in Chinese. -Yes, we did manage

to get the heaters working.  :-)



Shanghai was quite a contrast from the little city of Ulaanbaatar.



I was impressed with the color and greenery in Shanghai.



Mopeds, scooters and bicycles seem to be one of the most popular means

of transportation through the city.



I was amazed at the number of American style restaurants in Shanghai.

We enjoyed eating pizza several times. -With the price of cheese, we

don't get that too often in Mongolia.



Mr. Fahrenbruck looks over the fish section of the Carrefour store.

- No, he didn't buy any.



Where else can you get fresh fish heads and eels?



Or, even fresher yet, you can buy them live!



I am not sure what these were, but they sure looked pretty.



Taxis provided a good way for small groups to get around the city.

- Quite a bit fancier than the Mongolian ones.  :-)



This Christian bookstore is a bit of a rarity in China. They can sell most

everything short of Bibles.



Following the tradition of removing our shoes, we made quite a sizeable

selection in the entry way.



On the last day of the Chinese New Year, we had the opportunity to walk

through the park after dark, watching the fireworks, and setting off a

few smaller ones. Real Chinese lanterns made the walk even more festive.



Stopping by the river after dark one evening, we rode a ferry across the

river to see the lights.



A brilliant display of color lit up the evening sky, reflecting across the river.



This beautiful piece of architecture is called the "Pearl Tower".



I don't think it was "Ben", but it was big, whatever it was.



One thing that I had never seen before was the concept of using the entire

side of a building to display motion pictures. Imagine watching a humming

bird hover over a flower, but a hundred feet tall!



Walking through some of the streets we saw another brilliant display of

lights. Notice the McDonalds sign in the center.



During one of the days, we visited a few shops.





Food of all different kinds was available for hungry travelers.



We settled for something a little more standardized, -McDonalds.



Matthew enjoyed the exercise equipment.



We enjoyed another "steam bowl" adventure with a kind friend.



You mixed your own sauce, but the exciting thing was that all the labels

were in Chinese...  :-)  Our friend was very kind to translate them for us.



Many hours were spent planning out the logistics and details for the

Character Family Seminars.



Jenny shares a personal illustration in the teenager class.



I was impressed with the technology as the waiter took our orders on his

handheld computer (PDA).



Lydia studies the menu, trying to decide what kind of food to order.



In Beijing we had the opportunity to visit the Summer Palace.



Poor David only ended up behind bars once,



But it made for some great pictures.  :-)



A hole in the rock above revealed his secret.



A number of old and restored buildings made for a very interesting tour.



The setting sun also gave us a great opportunity for pictures.



Lydia and Rebecca ran with me to round the bend so that I could catch

some pictures before the sun went behind the mountain.



- And we just made it.



"So, what's your name?" Matthew looks at a frog, fresh and ready to order

at one of the restaurants. (No, we decided to get something else.)



We toured a factory where beautiful hand-painted ceramics were made.

Some of the bigger pieces were priced at over $50,000.



Erin poses with one of the families that helped with the seminars.



A group picture of the staff.



I am not sure which one was actually steering, but they seemed to enjoy

the "ride".



Yes, there is a bicycle under there, as evidenced by the front wheel.



A Chinese home. Note the scooter parked on the walk.



I wonder if Hudson Taylor of years gone by would have looked at scenes

such as this...





After some long days and lots of Sprite, Matthew was getting a little silly.



Rachelle and Sarah. The Summer Palace is visible across the lake.



Matthew tries his hand at a quick picture.



On our last day, we were able to visit the Great Wall.



This section of the wall is further away from the city, and has not had

quite as much restoration work.



Most the Waller children hiked out to the end of the section open to tourists.



There were a few "friends" waiting to sell you anything you needed,

or didn't need.



Climbing on the Great Wall is a memory that we will not soon forget.



The Wallers on the Wall.



Matthew poses for a picture with the guard at the apartment just before

leaving Beijing.



More Pictures after the Morely Fire



We took these pictures on the day after the fire at the Morely home.



We helped pour some water on some of the sawdust in the roof that was

still smoldering after the fire the night before.



The roof was basically destroyed.



The greatest damage was in the center of the home, near the coal

furnace. The two ends of the house sustained serious smoke damage,

but otherwise survived the fire.



With temperatures at -22F, the spray from the leaking hoses covered

the surrounding area with ice.



Fire extinguishers helped to slow the spread of the fire while the truck

drove back to the city to refill the water tank.



This one must have gotten a little too hot.



Derrick looks at the damage on the roof.



Not much remained in the back bedroom after the fire.



They were able to throw some things out the window before the fire

engulfed the room.



It was on this pile that I noticed the words "Great is Thy Faithfulness"



David surveys the damage near the coal furnace, where the fire

probably started.



Being made of brick, the walls were still standing, even in the areas

more damaged by the fire.



As the guard reminded us, the important thing is that no lives were lost,

and no one was hurt in the fire.


The Morely family had recently moved to another building, and were not

living in this home at the time of the fire. They were grateful to be able to

save most of their furniture and valuables.


Because of the cold temperatures, they will probably wait several months

before they begin the process of cleaning and rebuilding.



Click here to return to the Prayer Updates page